Thanks for visiting!
Who am I in brief?
I am an award-winning novelist who loves writing about grown-ups who crave change and often get it in ways they never expected (GAGA and MAGGIE's DREAM). I also write about teenagers who believe in independence, often stumbling into it headfirst (UPSIDE DOWN IN A LAURA INGALLS TOWN).
No matter what, I love writing about human beings who at first feel the need to depend on another, but soon learn to depend on themselves. My stories' endings aren’t always what you’d expect them to be, but then again, neither is real life!
Want to know more?
*I received my BA in Theater from California State Long Beach, the primary focus on play-writing and directing.
* I taught high school and college English for nine years and currently work as a private writing and study skills tutor.
* I pound the keys four days a week, two to three hours a day, without fail.
* I am blessed to have an amazing literary agent.
Who am I outside of work?
* The happy wife of an adorable artist.
* The middle child in a family of all girls (You were a champ, Dad!).
* A lover of all that is newsworthy, historic, musical, heart-warming, kitty-catish, or super-duper weird.
* A traveler who enjoys a hefty backpack slung over her shoulder, a chunk of strong cheese to eat on the train, and a stout beer waiting for me at the other end.
What I am working on NOW:
I am busy researching and writing a new YA that takes place during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s.
I am also in final edits on a contemporary YA about a girl who will discovers that freedom often comes at a cost.
Laughter, nature, kindness, forgiveness, diligence, open-mindedness, pro-activity, physical and mental exercise, honesty (including with oneself). Oh, and facial hair. On my hubby, that is!
Litter-bugs, whiners, mean girls (and boys), lazy asses, those who say they want the world to change, then sit on their duffs waiting for change to happen, and then complain when it doesn't!
Random junk you may not know about me and honestly may not care enough to read:
* At nineteen I moved from Maryland to California to become an actress.
* By twenty-three I had become an award-winning waitress.
* I did not discover I was a writer until the age of thirty-four and a half.
* I escaped the Wild West for the Sleepy South for artistic inspiration.
* I love playing the violin or piano...when no one is listening!
* My very first novel hides in my closet and has never been seen by my agent.
* I have never EVER had writer's block. I swear.
Listen to this fun podcast discussing my women's fiction novel, GAGA!
Check out this television interview where I discuss my award-winning Young Adult novel, Upside Down in a Laura Ingalls Town (forward to 30:30).
Other cool places you can find me: